For March 5th… On This Day in Disney History!
On This Day in 2003, in preparation for Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary Celebration (The Happiest Homecoming on Earth), King Arthur Carousel was reopened after an extensive, 14-month renovation. These renovations included: an entirely rebuilt turntable platform, a new computerized operating console and system – which halts the carousel each time in the same spot! Removal of a row of horses to accommodate the four horse wide bench and wheel chair clamps with an access ramp for ADA compliance, which reduced the count of horses from 71 to 68. Inspired by the Griffith Park Carousel, Walt Disney wanted something similar for his new theme park….a Carousel consisting of ALL jumpers. A park model menagerie carousel was purchased and moved to Disneyland in 1954. The carousel was built by William Dentzel in 1875 and had been operated at Sunnyside Beach Park in Toronto, Ontario since 1922. It had three courses of horses and other animals on a platform 72 feet wide in diameter. Because of the overwhelming popularity of the carousel’s single white horse, since 1975, ALL horses have been painted white. Each horse on the carousel has a name and a complete list is available at City Hall on Main Street U.S.A.